Thursday, April 27, 2017

Another Dealer Edition Item

MINICHAMPS 1:43 Porsche Cayenne GTS:






Here's another diecast car model that I got from a Porsche showroom. Isn't it awkward that you enter in a showroom, and these salesmen assume you'll buy a real car then you ended buying a miniature one? Well, for me I felt that at first when I did that for the first time when I was in HK... around 8 years ago when I scored a Panamera 4S in 1:43 scale.


But then that awkwardness easily shook off when I keep doing it. Besides, dealer edition items are easier to find, because showrooms sell them anyway. If it means more money for them, then why not sell those?

I scored a multitude of these Porsche dealer models ever since, and the latest one is...




...an SUV. The Cayenne GTS. So why did I end up with this one?


Originally, I set my sights on a USB Porsche 918 Spyder Martini. It looks nice, but when I bought it it turned out to be a 1:72 scale model and not a 1:64, so I went back to the showroom to exchange the item for 1:43, even if I had to pay some extra because it's obviously more expensive.



Sadly, the showroom only had three 1:43 models in stock - 718 Boxster S, 911 Turbo Cabriolet, and this Cayenne GTS. Both the Boxster and 911 may look gorgeous, but I don't collect much on convertibles since it turned out their windshields are separate pieces from their molds and wobble easily. I don't like a diecast car that breaks. So off I chose the Cayenne instead.





I didn't regret the choice, not by one bit. As expected from Minichamps, the paint quality is superb, no doubt about it. But the side mirrors need extra care as they might fall off.

However, that is the only issue I can see so far. The wheels roll smoothly and the ride height is accurate. And the GTS' bodykit is the icing on the cake. It looks better than the Turbo, and is more photogenic of the two. Hehe. I can re-shoot this Cayenne at any time.


There you have it. It's worth the trip to the dealer. You can inquire from them which models they have in stock. If you want a model, but not available, you can place a deposit and pay the rest once the item arrives approximately one month.


Or better yet, if you have the cash, you go to the Porsche Museum in Stuttgart, Germany and you'll find lots of Dealer Edition models. (Because that's where they came from, obviously).



UP NEXT: A JDM Holy Grail... 

No comments:

Post a Comment